Project Title: Development of a functional and technical specification for a new a Marine Vessel communication and planning tool.
Opportunity Statement:The Dow Supply Chain function is actively pursuing opportunities to provide the lowest cost to serve whilst meeting best in class levels of quality and reliability. The recently implemented SAP R3 ERP system (ECC) supports different functions in executing and improving their day to day operations and deliveries to its customers.
Dow’s global Marine Deep Sea vessel function, yearly shipping more than 14.000.000 Tons of chemicals (the equivalent of 600.000 trucks) involving freight expenditures of more than 360 million Dollars, continues to be managed outside ECC. Hence, work process related information is mainly communicated and maintained by means of Excel spreadsheets, emails and several other standalone tools (example MAPS).
Global Supply Chain leadership envisions to implement a Marine IT solution that would allow Dow to manage Deep Sea marine shipments using one global tool fully or partly integrated with Dow’s new ECC system.
This would improve the efficiency, quality and transparency of the Marine material flow work process, order to cash.
Project Scope & Boundaries:The scope of the project relates to defining the functional requirements on the systems side of the Dow global bulk marine work process integrating with functions which directly depend and/or interact with the process such as planning, site logistics, carriers, documentation, procurement etc. Also in-scope is the jetty/berth scheduling capability for Dow jetty’s currently managed within MAPS.
Project Goal/Objectives:This charter embodies the project of drafting and defining the functional and technical specification for a Marine IT solution, possible integrated or interfaced with Dow’s ECC system.
The objective is that once Dow’s internal IT function (Diamond Systems Solutions) receives the go-ahead to design and implement a new marine solution, a specification is available which can serve as base for the final design.
Timeline / Location:
- 4-6 months
- Preferred start date: Q2 2015 ( but other timing can be discussed)
- Location: Terneuzen. (local student-housing in Terneuzen will be provided)
Deliverables:The specification should encompass functional requirements, integrating the following process’, with functions between brackets:
- Vessel planning and shipment initiation (Planning / Scheduling)
- Vessel nomination and chartering (Marine Operations)
- Vessel risk and suitability acceptance (Vetting)
- Nominating and instructing external parties (Marine Operations)
- Detailed jetty & vessel scheduling, document printing (Dow Site Logistics, Terminals)
- Direct access to documents, E-Docs, survey reports (Documentation)
- Unplanned event follow including escalation (Marine Mode)
- Data collection supporting performance monitoring and demand/capacity validation
- Spot fixture process (Procurement)
- Freight/accessorial costs payment & approval process (Accounts Payables)
Contact for more information: Rik Eshuis