Diplomas and degrees
- Ph.D. (Systems Theory and Control Engineering), Delft University of Technology, 1998. Title of Ph.D. Thesis: Fuzzy Decision Making with Control Applications.
- Chartered Designer (Information Technology), Delft University of Technology, 1995.
- M.Sc. (Electrical and Electronics Engineering), Delft University of Technology, 1992.
- International Baccalauriat, van der PuttLyceum, Eindhoven, 1986.
- DVA/BEP Training for Supervisors (supervising students in Final Bachelor Projects),
- Academic Leadership, Eva Wiltingh, Rotterdam (2010).
- Basic didactics, OECR, Rotterdam (2000).
- Windows 2000 architecture, Antwerpen, Belgium (2000).
- Shell LIFE (organisational change), Soestdijk (1999).
- Supervision of thesis students, TU-Delft, Delft (1993).
- Acting as an assessor in assessment centers, Zeist, (1991).
- Professor of Intelligence and Computation in Economics, Erasmus School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2008 – 2011.
- Associate Professor of Economics & Informatics, Erasmus School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2006 – 2008.
- Assistant Professor, Erasmus School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2000 – 2006.
- Reservoir Engineer, Shell E&P, Technology Applications and Research, Rijswijk, 1997-2000.
- Researcher, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Delft University of Technology, 1997.
- Research assistant, Control Laboratory, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Delft University of Technology, 1993-1997.
- Member of the Advisory Board of PDEng Program on Clinical Informatics, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, 2012–.
- Member of the Advisory Board, TANNET Foundation (Stichting TANNET), 2011–.
- Board member, Dutch Dream Foundation (DDF), 2010–2011.
- Visiting Scientist, Division of Clinical Informatics, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA, 2011.
- Scientific Director, Erasmus Centre on Business Intelligence (ECBI), 2009–2011.
- Member of the Scientific Forum OV-Chip card, The Netherlands, 2008–2011.
- Member of the Steering Group on Diversity of the Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2007–2011.
- Visiting Research Professor of Information Systems, Salford University, Manchester, UK, 2007–2008.
- Board member, TANNET Foundation (Stichting TANNET), 2006–2010.
- Secretary of the TANNET Foundation (Stichting Turks Academische Netwerk – TANNET), 2000–2005.
- Assessor in assessment centers, Project Politie en Allochtonen (PPA), 1991–1997.
- Representative of research assistants (AiO) of TU Delft in the Dutch Research School DISC (Dutch Institute of Systems and Control), 1995–1996.
- Secretary of IEEE Student Branch Delft, 1995.
- Practical work (stage) in Dijkzigt Academic Hospital in Rotterdam (Myocard NADH Fluorescence on Rats), 1991.
- Student-assistant at TU Delft, 1990–1991.
- Secretary of Turkse Studenten Vereniging, 1988–1990.
- Freelance software developer, 1987–1993.
- Book reviewer for NBLC, Nederlandse Bibliotheek en Lectuur Centrum, 1984–1993.
National and European Research Grants, Projects and Networks.
- BrainBridge Project A Process Analysis and Process Mining Toolkit for Clinical Pathway Management, 2012–
- The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), Open Competition Physical Sciences (Exacte Wetenschappen), Financial Events Recognition in News for Algorithmic Trading, FERNAT, 2010–.
- The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), Mosaic Programme, Semantic Web Enhanced Product Search, SWEPS, 2010–.
- SURF Foundation, Virtual Knowledge Studio Collaboratory — Understanding Scholarly Collaboration in Practice, 2009–2010.
- European Union Collaborative Project (Large Scale Integrating Project) Early Recognition, Monitoring and Integrated Management of Emerging, New Technology
Related Risks, iNTeg-Risk, 2008–2011.
- ESF COST Action Combining Soft Computing Techniques and Statistical Methods to Improve Data Analysis Solutions, 2008–2012 (IC0702), Member of
- The Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Erasmus Virtual Knowledge
Studio KNAW, 2007–2011.
- SURF Foundation, Virtual Knowledge Studio Collaboratory—Linking Scholarly Networks and Disciplines, 2007–2008.
- European Union Specific Targeted Research Project Time-determined Ontology Based KnowledgeSystem for Real Time Stock Market Analysis, TOWL, 2006–2008.
- European Coordination Action on Nature-Inspired Smart Information Systems,
- Visualization and interaction environment for concept relations, VICORE, 2003–2006 (SENTER TSIT Project).
- European Network of Excellence on Intelligent Technologies for Smart
Adaptive Systems, EUNITE, 2001–2004.
- Project “Gigaport/Virtuele Haven”, 2001.
- European ESPRIT III Project FALCON, Fuzzy Algorithms for Control, 1995–1997.
Participation in various projects with industry partners within the context of Ph.D. research and supervision of MSc. students (a selection)
- Rabobank, Advanced data analysis methods for risk management, 2010.
- APL Logistics and AC Transport, Floating Stock, 2006.
- Wageningen University, Fuzzy sustainable development models in agriculture, 2002–2007.
- Heineken, Analytical measurements and expert evaluations, 2003.
- Heineken, Decision support for electronic auctions, 2002.
- Dutch Research School TRAIL, Fuzzy Sets in Traffic Control, 1997.
- Siemens, Intelligent Control for a Container Crane, 1996–1997.
- ING Group, Computational Intelligence in Finance, 1995–1996.
- KEMA, Fuzzy Security Assessment, 1999.
- Unilever, Fuzzy Modelling of a Washing Process, 1993–1994.
- Member, Research School for Operations Management and Logistics (BETA).
- Research fellow, Dutch School for Information and Knowledge Systems (SIKS).
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Member, Royal Institute of Engineers in the Netherlands (KIVI).
- Member, Belgium–Netherlands Association for Artificial Intelligence (BNKVI).
- Member, Dutch/Flemish Classification Society (VOC).
- Member, European Society for Fuzzy Logic and Technology (EUSFLAT).
- Past member, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), sub-program LIS (Logistics and Information Systems).